While Summer is fast approaching and I am not ready for the heat, I am definitely ready for the flavors the season brings. Simple dishes whose flavors are heightened with the help of the barbecue char…mmmm…yes please! Summer does not have to be all about the backyard barbecue though, another classic dish is the shrimp boil. Usually prepared for a large group of people, a shrimp boil consists of three main ingredients: shrimp (given, it’s in the title people), red potatoes, and corn. Throw in some spices and a squeeze of lemon and you have a dish that no one can refuse! Reeling it back in though, in my kitchen for one, I decided to take a spin-off of this dish and prepare it as a Hobo Packet instead (phew, we made it back to the letter H).
Hobo packets are a great way to put together dinner with minimal prep, few dishes, and a short cook time, the trifecta of cooking for yourself has been achieved! Toss all of your ingredients in some olive oil and seasonings, fasten them into a makeshift pouch constructed from foil, and let the oven take it from there. You can easily change-up the veggies for what is in season or omit the protein and serve over a bed of rice. Cook a few packets at a time for leftovers the next day or a last-minute guest. This recipe is quite versatile which is why it makes a great staple in your weekly meal rotation.
Enjoy the last bits of Spring while feasting on this Summer inspired dish!
- 6 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (some grocery stores offer shrimp already prepped in this manner, but if you are unable to find that, here is a simple tutorial on how to devein shrimp)
- 1 ear of corn split in half
- 2 small red potatoes, each cut into sixths
- ¼ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley (garnish)
- Lemon quarter (garnish)
- 2 sheets of foil (1 ft x 1 ft)
Prepping the Packet
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a bowl, gently toss the shrimp, corn, and potatoes with olive oil and seasonings.
- Place ingredients in a single layer on one sheet of foil and add the crushed garlic clove to the center.
- Place the second sheet of foil on top and fold each side so as to create an enclosed packet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Carefully open the packet as steam will escape (steam burns are the worst!).
- Garnish with parsley and a squeeze of lemon if desired.