It is finally the weekend which means it is time to break away from the weekly yogurt and protein shake breakfast routine and get into the good stuff! And what better way to embrace the weekend brunch than with putting all of your favorite ingredients into one dish. A few months back, a friend sent me a video from Buzzfeed Food on this bread bowl idea and I thought it was about time to give it a try. I was definitely not disappointed!
The assembly process is quite simple and you can substitute the filling with what you have on hand, are craving at the time, or throw a brunch party and set up a filling station for guests to individualize their bowls. After coring out your bread bowl, don’t let that extra bread go to waste. Save the leftover bread and make croutons, bread crumbs, or my egg strata recipe. Waste not in this kitchen! When adding any proteins to the bread bowl such as bacon or sausage, make sure they are pre-cooked. Adding some veggies? Thinly slice or pre-cook them as well to ensure you don’t get a raw veggie bite surprise amidst the melted cheese and egg yolk goodness. Not a fan of sunny side up eggs? Lightly scramble the egg and pour over your filling and bake as directed.
Make brunch fun and enjoy a breakie bread bowl this weekend!
- 1 small bread bowl
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- half of a jalapeno, minced
- 1 cooked breakfast sausage link, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 egg
Building Your Breakfast Bowl
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
- Core out the center of your bread bowl, being careful not to puncture through the bottom crust.
- Brush the inside and top edges of the bread bowl with the melted butter.
- Layer the inside of the bread bowl with half of the cheese, minced jalapeno, sliced sausage, and the remaining cheese on top.
- Carefully crack your egg on top of the layered filling.
- Loosely wrap the outside of the bread bowl with foil to prevent too much browning during the baking process.
- Place on a small baking sheet and bake for 20-28 minutes (depending on the size of your bread bowl), until the egg has set.
- Slice into quarters and enjoy!