It’s pumpkin season! Pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin coffee, all things pumpkin everywhere! While I do love all pumpkin sweets, I definitely cannot (scratch that I totally could, I SHOULD not) eat them every day and after a recent batch of pumpkin scones I was left with half a can of pumpkin puree and I had a decision to make. Bake another batch of scones or go savory. Since scones do not count as dinner, savory won!
Pumpkin is great as a savory option and you can easily transform your favorite everyday recipes into a Fall classic. Add it into your favorite veggie lasagna, fill up some raviolis and enjoy with a simple butter sage sauce, or take my route and create a basic pumpkin cream sauce. While this is not exactly low in calories as the base includes cream and butter (yuuuuum), adding the pumpkin is a great way to sneak a little vitamin A and C into your meal. Make sure you are using canned pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling…won’t make that mistake twice.
Keeping with Fall flavors, I added some kale and chicken sausage to complete this savory pumpkin dinner. Oh, and don’t forget to top with cheese! I found this amazing rosemary and olive oil asiago at Trader Joe’s that complemented the sauce wonderfully. Quick and easy dinner, my kinda meal. This recipe makes enough for two generous portions so invite someone over and show them the wonders of how pumpkin can be used not in sweets form! (Or, enjoy this meal for a second round the next day 🙂 )
Moral of today’s story, next time you have leftover canned pumpkin, challenge yourself and take the savory road. You won’t be disappointed!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup of canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 sausages (I used chicken sausage from Trader Joe’s)
- 2 cups fusili pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water for pasta.
- Cook sausage according to package instructions and remove from pan.
- Once water has boiled, add pasta and cook according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, saute the garlic, onion and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat for five minutes.
- Add the kale and saute for an additional minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add the chicken broth, heavy cream, pumpkin and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Simmer sauce for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Sauce will thicken, don’t worry!
- While sauce is simmering, cut sausage into 1/4 inch slices and drain pasta.
- Add sausage and pasta to sauce, stir to combine for one minute and remove from heat.
- Cover with lid and let sit untouched for three minutes.
- Top with cheese and enjoy!