I have liked cauliflower for as long as I can remember. I think it is one of those veggies that parents can get their children to eat from a young age, possibly because it is not the scary green color of other veggies we swore as five year-olds to forever avoid. So what can you do with cauliflower? Steam it? Sure. Roast it? Most definitely. And then there’s….mash? That’s right! Cooked cauliflower can easily be transformed into a smooth mash that will even trick your now very intelligent brain into thinking you are eating mashed potatoes instead. This can be a healthier substitute when the craving for mashed potatoes strikes and is also a great way to use up leftover steamed or roasted cauliflower because let’s face it, in a kitchen for one, eating a whole cauliflower before it turns can be quite the undertaking. I chose to add some garlic powder to this version, but you can definitely mix in your favorite mashed potato accompaniments (ahem, I’m looking at you bacon) or herbs such as rosemary or thyme. I hope you enjoy this healthy, quick and easy side dish!
What’s your favorite mashed potato mix-in? Got any suggestions for what else you can do with cauliflower? Comment below!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Making the Mash (Yield: three servings)
- Boil water in a medium stock pot over high heat.
- While water is heating up, cut and clean the cauliflower.
- Tips for cutting cauliflower: Cut the cauliflower into quarters. Cut the large center stem out of each quarter and the florets should naturally fall off. Wash the cauliflower after it has been cut; since there are so many nooks it is difficult to wash beforehand.
- Boil cauliflower florets for about six minutes or until they are very tender.
- Drain water and pat cauliflower dry.
- Place cooked cauliflower, butter, cream and garlic powder in a food processor and puree until very smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy. Great as a side dish to grilled chicken and veggies!