I have a major sweet tooth and while I would enjoy baking an apple pie whenever the mood strikes, it is just too dangerous to have a WHOLE pie in my apartment. Apple pie counts as breakfast right? It goes with coffee and has fruit in it so I say yes! To avoid gaining five pounds in one week, I went back to the drawing board to come up with a more sensible solution. Thus the mini apple crumble was born.
A crumble and pie do differ, but they are both conducive to a warm apple filling and a crumble is so much easier to pare down to a single serving. I went with the classic crumble topping of oats, brown sugar, and flour bound together with what all baked goodies need of course, butter. Feel free to throw in some chopped walnuts or almonds if you got em for extra crunch! This dessert can be thrown together on a whim with no planning as long as you have a semi-stocked pantry with baking basics and an apple on hand. Go ahead, indulge that dessert craving tonight with the feeling of accomplishment that you made it yourself and did not drive down the street to McDonalds for a drive-thru “apple pie.” Happy Saturday!
- 1/2 apple, peeled
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon old-fashioned oats
Making the Crumble
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease baking dish, I used a 3.5 inch wide x 2 inch high dish.
- For the filling:
- Slice the peeled apple into 1/4 thick pieces and then cut each slice in half.
- Toss the apple slices with 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar, the cinnamon, nutmeg and water.
- Set aside.
- For the topping:
- Working quickly, crumble the butter cubes with the remaining brown sugar, the flour, and oats.
- Put the apple mixture in the bottom of the greased dish and evenly distribute the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes until the topping is a golden brown and the apples are tender.
- Enjoy with a dollop of whipped cream, small scoop of vanilla ice cream, or with a cup of coffee!