Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? While a frittata’s main ingredient is eggs, it can be eaten for breakfast, lunch and is even filling enough for dinner. But what is a frittata? It is an Italian egg dish that is traditionally cooked in a skillet on the stove over low heat with veggies and meat and is flipped whole, like a pancake. Since the only skillet I own is large and geared for grilling, and I struggle enough with flipping an omelet, I decided to go with a baked frittata. After cooking your stir-in ingredients and whisking up the eggs, this dish is ready in 20 minutes so it makes for a great weeknight dinner when you have nothing planned on the menu. Like an omelet or scramble, frittata’s are a great opportunity to utilize bits of veggies and protein in your fridge left over from other dishes. While this dish is baked, I recommended cooking your veggies before adding them so that they are tender and add to the delicateness of this puffy, golden egg dish. Break out of your comfort zone of scrambled eggs and dive into the just as easy frittata!
- 1 slice of bacon
- 1/3 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- olive oil for drizzling
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- dash of paprika
- non-stick spray
Putting Together the Frittata
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Using a small saute pan, cook diced bacon until crispy over high heat.
- Place cooked bacon on a paper towel lined plate to absorb any remaining grease.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to the hot saute pan with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Saute mushrooms and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat until mushrooms have browned.
- Remove cooked mushrooms and garlic from pan to slightly cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cheese and seasonings.
- Stir in the bacon, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Pour mixture into a small greased baking dish; I used a 4.5 inches wide by 2 inches high dish.
- Bake the frittata for about 20 minutes until golden, puffy yet firm.
- Grab a glass of OJ and some toast and enjoy for any meal of the day!