It has been quite warm here in Southern California lately which means the quicker dinner can be prepared, the better! My apartment is quite small so having the stove or oven on quickly raises the overall temperature and counteracts my hard-working little AC unit. These tasty chicken lettuce cups can be quickly prepared and are a light and refreshing option for dinner when it’s been a hot one. All of the components can also be prepped ahead of time and would make for a great grab and go for a spontaneous evening picnic. Whatever your plans for the evening, going with these spicy peanut chicken lettuce cups will satisfy your craving for that oh so popular Thai appetizer without having to make a reservation. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (all natural, salted)
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 ounce chicken breast
- 2 heaping tablespoons finely diced celery
- 3 heaping tablespoons shredded carrots
- 2 butter lettuce leaves
Making the Sauce and Lettuce Cups
- To make the sauce, whisk together the peanut butter, hot water, soy sauce, chili sauce, garlic powder, ginger powder, and red pepper flakes until thoroughly combined.
- To adjust the level of spiciness, decrease or increase the amount of chili sauce.
- Cube the chicken breast into one-inch cubes and toss the raw chicken in 1/2 tablespoon of the peanut sauce.
- Coat a small saute pan with non-stick spray and preheat over medium-high heat.
- Saute chicken for three to four minutes until cooked throughout.
- Evenly distribute the chicken between the two lettuce “cups.”
- Top with carrots, celery and additional sauce to taste.
- The remaining sauce can be saved in the refrigerator and used as a salad dressing!