Okay so you may not be able to actually pick up this “taco,” but sometimes it is fun to stray from the familiar and try something new! Sweet potatoes are not just for a marshmallow-topped side dish at Thanksgiving. I try to incorporate them into my meals a few times a week since they are a great source of Vitamin A. This dinner (or lunch!) can be ready from start to finish in under twenty minutes which makes it a perfect candidate for your busy week night entrée. I decided to go with classical taco toppings since I already had everything on hand, but get creative and have fun with it!
What are your favorite taco toppings? I’m sure they will go great atop a fluffy sweet potato 🙂
- 4 ounces steak, cubed
- 1 tablespoon of salsa
- 1 large sweet potato
- taco toppings of your choice such as cheese, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado, hot sauce
Building the “Taco”
- Pierce sweet potato several times on each side with the tines of a fork.
- Cook sweet potato in microwave for 4-5 minutes until cooked throughout.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, stir fry the steak with the one tablespoon of salsa in a small saute pan for 3-4 minutes until the meat is browned.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked, make a slit down the center of one side and “fluff” it with a fork breaking apart the large pieces.
- Dash the sweet potato with your favorite hot sauce, add the steak and other desired toppings, and enjoy!