Cooking for one, sometimes it may be hard to get motivated to cook dinner after a long day of work. To break that temptation to dial for a pizza, most of the recipes I come up with require little effort and skill, and can be whipped up in under twenty minutes. Often times, I will already have everything stocked in the fridge and freezer so no trip to the grocery store is necessary either!
While this recipe only contains three ingredients, it packs a punch of flavor! First you have the onion which when sautéed is one of my favorite smells to fill the apartment. To help reduce the inevitable flood of tears that happen when slicing an onion, I recommend refrigerating your onion before slicing and running the fan about your stove or kitchen. I don’t know why this works, but I can usually get through slicing the onion without a complete tear induced breakdown. Yellow onions have a pretty strong flavor that get sweeter the longer they cook so keep that in mind if you prefer a more subtle flavor. Not a fan of onions? Double up on the pepper or swap them out for mushrooms or zucchini.
Next come the sweet peppers which I try to pick one pepper of each color to add vibrancy to the dish. Fun fact about sweet peppers, they are high in vitamin C, even more so than citrus fruits so eat up and toss these little guys into salads, top your burgers, or chop and add into your scrambled eggs. As sweet peppers are usually sold in a large bag, I usually end up adding them to meals throughout the week. Next week, I’ll shop you how to mix things up with your basic tomato sauce by adding sweet roasted peppers!
At the end of the work day, I need more than just a plate of veggies which is why I added spicy italian sausage to build this tasty trio. I try to stock a variety of meats in my freezer and italian sausage is definitely one of them. This recipe is substitution friendly so have fun with it and substitute in your favorite sausage.
Put these three ingredients together in one pan and you’ve got a quick, easy comfort meal that you’ll be glad you skipped the drive-thru for!
- ¼ yellow onion
- 4 sweet peppers
- 2 spicy italian sausages
- olive oil for coating the pan
Preparing the Dish
- slice the onion in ⅛ to ¼ inch think slices, making sure to keep the slices even so that they cook at the same rate
- cut the stems off of the peppers and slice them into ¼ inch thick pieces, keeping the seeds intact for added flavor; as these are sweet peppers, the seeds do not add heat to the dish
- in a medium sauce pan, drizzle enough oil to coat the pan and set on medium-high heat
- add the sausages and cook for 7-8 minutes, turning to brown evenly
- turn the heat down to low, push the sausages to the outer edge of the pan and add the sliced veggies to the center
- continuously stirring, saute the veggies for 2-3 minutes until they are tender to the touch and the onions have taken on an opaque look
- cover the pan and continue cooking on low for 2 minutes
- slice the sausage into ½ to 1 inch slices and place with sautéed veggies in a bowl and enjoy!
There you have it, dinner ready in under twenty!